Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Let's Eat! (aka You made that ceiling out of WHAT?)

For those who never saw my original dining room, or have forgotten...or just need a good laugh, here's a quick reminder

 
Yeah that's right....pink and green.

Well, it took me a year to get started and about 5 months to finish the room.  I had it mostly done for Turkey day, which was my original goal, but the finishing touches didn't happen until right before Christmas.

There were a lot of crafty elements and detail work for this project, so of course things took longer than expected and a few snags slowed us down.

But here it is!
BIG BIG difference, right?

In case you needed a side by side....
 

So some of the more interesting elements are my Mod Podged window.


Yes...I did this with fabric, ribbon and glue! I LOVE the way it turned out.

After I peeled the glue off myself for the window, I started painting...that's the boring part no one wants pictures of lol.

Once I painted, I used a watered down glue to apply this beautiful lace (ebay) to the bottom half of the wall.

It went up rather easily but it was definitely a two person job! I had a friend come help me with it in exchange for beer.... (Thanks Rachael!)

The top part of the wall I wanted subtle stripes, and I almost went with just painting them and using different sheen paints, but I'm terrible at painting....and I'm obsessive about having straight lines...

So, I had my husband make me some cardboard strips at work and I glued them to my wall.  Then I painted the whole thing, and glued a round ribbon-type material to the edges (found it in the leather crafting area of the craft store...it's not leather though)

The finished product is subtle and EXACTLY what I wanted!  Hooray when crafts actually turn out!



The textural differences between the cardboard and the wall makes for an extra layer of depth that I just love and couldn't be happier with.

That chair? Yeah I got a pair of them from a yard sale for $5...here's the before and after
Photo: What a difference! 
I'd say they are much more my style now....

Then there's the chalkboard wall...the kids loved it at Thanksgiving and Christmas!  And the beauty of it all is, if they put something I hate to look at up there, I can "oops!" stumble and "accidentally" fall into that portion of the wall wiping it away....
I trimmed the transition between the main walls and the chalkboard wall with some of the trim ribbon I used in my window.
And last, but certainly not least here's the project that my husband swears he will never help me do again...The ceiling.
Yes...I made that circular tray ceiling out of cardboard.
Let it sink in for a minute.
Cardboard.
The medallion in the center is actually the table top to an outdoor bistro table that was left at my house when I bought it.

Over the next few months I'll be posting about how I did some of these things with more pictures of the process and whatnot. 

Next room up for redo is the living room and I have some amazing things planned!

One more picture of my pretty room :)
A special thanks to Emily for bringing up her camera and getting some good pictures for me when the limits of my camera phone were exceeded....

Happy crafting and keep thinking INSIDE the box (then cut up the box and glue it to something)!

1 comment: